Friday 14 March 2014

March Block of the month


Hello everyone, and welcome to my blog for March.

Before we look at the block this month, I would like to share with you some of the images spotted on my walks with my dog Toby.

Because of the bad weather, the fields have become waterlogged so we have had to change our normal routes to areas which are not quite as boggy.

It has been wonderful to watch Spring unfolding each day. I am always looking for ideas that I can use for my calendar quilt.

Here are some of my pictures.
Daisies in March!



Seen in the hedgerow.



In my garden.
These horses had left their field, They did find their way home though!

So onto the block for this month.

  MARCH

“March brings breezes loud and shrill,

Stirs the dancing daffodil”

The name of March comes from the Latin Martius, the first month of the earliest Roman calendar. It was named after the Roman God of war: Mars.


FESTIVALS:
St Davids Day (1st March). The patron saint of Wales.
St Patricks Day (17th March). The patron saint of Ireland.
Shrove Tuesday (Pancake Day).
Lent. The six week period from Ash Wednesday to Easter Sunday.
Mardi Gras, or "Fat Tuesday," is the last day of the Carnival season in New Orleans. It always falls the day before Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent.  

WEATHER:
March is known for its winds.
 
EVENTS:
Mothering Sunday
Spring Equinox (21st of March).
Worldwide Quilting Day 2014, March 15th
Start of British summer time.
Trees are starting to bud.
Frogs start to spawn.
Lambs are seen in the fields.
SIGN OF THE ZODIAC:
Pisces:- The fish, February 19th  - March 20th
Aries March 21st  - April 19th
BIRTHSTONE: Aquamarine.
IDEAS FOR THE BLOCK:
Shamrock (greens), daffodils & narcissi, fish (pisces), crocus’.
BLOCKS;
Windmill (March winds), Irish Chain (St Patricks Day), King Davids Crown (St Davids Day), Mothers Fancy Star (Mothering Sunday), Spring Beauty (First day of Spring).
 
                                                          My block:

 
I tried to show the flowers of Spring. The light fabric has trees with a glittery sheen to show the damp mornings.
 
Maybe I shouldn't have used such a bright yellow daffodil fabric in the corners, but after all, that is a true March flower!
I love March, as it seems the world is "waking up" after the Winter. It is a joy to hear the bird song again.
So that is about it for now.  I hope you are all enjoying the longer days, and at last, some sunshine!
Take care, & as usual, please feel free to leave a comment!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 







 
 

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos, Sally-Ann.
    I love the bright yellow daffs on your block.
    xxPat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic as always Sally-Ann, I love seeing spring unfold as well it's one of my favourite seasons :)
    love Lisette xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the lovely comments! It is one of my favourite seasons too Lisette x

    ReplyDelete