Sunday 26 May 2013

All about the Farmers Wife Quilt.




Over the last few years, people have been talking about making a Farmers Wife Sampler Quilt. 
I must confess I didn't know anything about it until fairly recently, so have been doing a bit of research. So, what is a Farmers Wife Sampler Quilt?


In 1922 'The Farmer's Wife' magazine asked their readers: "If you had a daughter of marriageable age, would you, in light of your own experience, have her marry a farmer?"

The magazine at the time had 750,000 subscribers, and received over 7,000 letters. The best answers to this question are included in a book (see below), along with the traditional quilt blocks they inspired.

The book "The Farmers Wife Sampler Quilt" by Laurie Aaron Hird is available on Amazon (& other booksellers) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Farmers-Wife-Sampler-Quilt-Inspired/dp/0896898288

In it she describes the history of the quilt and shows the blocks. It is well worth a look.

Now, anyone that knows me knows that I always like to "do my own thing" so I have set myself a challenge! How many different blocks can I make using a basic 9 patch block?
(My own Farmers Wife Quilt)!

Each individual square is 2 1/2" giving a 6" finished block.

Well, I have made a start, and here are some of the blocks I have made so far..........


My note book where I draw out the blocks



Fruit Basket





Union Jack



Blue Shading  (Folds)

Shoo fly


Spool





Hour Glass

Tulip




Sailboat



Maple leaf


  
Christmas Wreath

Thanks for looking......!

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Love how you designed each square blue shading is my favourite!
    Lisette x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing a Christmas one now. Thanks for the feedback (and kind comments) Lisette! I am going to try the blue shaded one with Christmas fabrics, so I will let you know how I get on x

    ReplyDelete